Today I handed in two items for the Hawkesbury show.
[singlepic id=51 w=220 mode=watermark float=left]
[singlepic id=52 w=220 mode=watermark float=right]
This is my Polwarth handspun.
- Approx 300m
- Roughly a DK equivalent
- Spun semi worsted, and then 2ply
- Perfectly balanced with no washing
This was originally hand dyed tops, from the Ewe Give Me The Knits Fibre Club back in 2008, (160g in total) in shades of yellow, orange and red/raspberry. I had previously spun 85g as the tops ‘came’ and then chain plied to yield 235m in a DK equivalent. This will be part of a vest for my son (either the front, or stripes).
I didn’t want to spin all of it at the time, as the colours aren’t me, but they do suit The Boy, but a whole vest in variegated ‘oranges’ are still not a good idea. So a little while ago, I was encouraged to enter some spinning in this years Hawkesbury show, and this was just after seeing a great tutorial on hand carding dyed tops to get a gradient effect. So home I went and carded away, then got to spinning!
I am very excited and proud about this skein. It will become something warm and comforting for my boy.
The other item I have entered is my Photosynthesis shawl.
This yarn was entered into last years Hawkesbury show and received a “Highly Commended” in one of the handspinning classes.
I’m also very excited about this shawl being entered into the show, for two reasons. This is the first time I’ve entered a knit item in for judging. The yarn is returning as the finished item into the same show.
Now the wait begins.
And while I wait, I work on an entry for the St Ives show in May. (Alpaca and Mulberry silk may be involved!)