Browsed by
Tag: spats

80’s Flashback! Knitted Legwarmers

80’s Flashback! Knitted Legwarmers

lairboottopperup

Wagons are meant to be fallen off, right?  Good.  While I haven’t started any of my big 3 for 2012, I have joined in a small KAL on Ravelry in the Tiny Owl Knits group.  The free pattern “Some Cloudy Day” is a pair of legwarmers, knit in smaller gauge and meant to be a little more fitted.

I really enjoyed making these, they were really good to do while I was dropping my son off to, and picking up from school. I modified these a little, I made them shorter, used a 1×1 rib and ended with a hemmed picot bind off.

lairboottoperdown

I just wanted something to stick into the tops of my boots or over my ankles if I was wearing other shoes.  As I’m not really a “sock knitter” I thought this was a great way to use some fun yarn and patterns without worrying too much about fit.

pinkcloudyday

So whilst on a roll, I decided to quickly cast on another pair.  Using another sock yarn, I cast on with a few extra stitches and continued with the 2×2 ribbing.  At the top, I decided to add some eyelets to my ribbing so that I can put a ribbon through the top.  Cute, right?

The comments I’ve received while knitting these, however has been most amusing.  I usually get asked what I’m knitting, and when the response is “legwarmers”, I get a range of reactions.  Everything from a raised eyebrow accompanied by a slightly derisive “Oh.”, to being asked if I have a daughter.  Apparently one must be a girl of a pre-teen age to wear legwarmers.  Nevertheless, my ankles will not be freezing this winter. BWAHAHAHA…

Will I make more?  Probably, but I’ll try different stitch patterns though.

Oh Spatterdashes!

Oh Spatterdashes!

Sounds like a good way to avoid cursing, right?  Well after the epic task that creating a pattern for my spats has turned out to be (so far), this is probably a very appropriate title.

fullspatsleg1I was so disappointed with my first set of drafts, that doing more alterations seemed far too daunting.  You can see that the front didn’t sit right, the button band swung forward and the calf didn’t sit well.

So today, while The Boy was at preschool, I decided that the alone time I had was the perfect timing to just sit down and nut it out.

fullpatdraft1

So I laid the first draft out and decided that fitting the calf was just TOO much hassle.  And in all reality the likelihood that I’ll make full length spatterdashes was miniscule.  So I grabbed my scissors and hacked the bulbous top off.  I have to admit, I got a little nervous at this point.  Before I started I was ready to forget the whole idea, and I was worried I was about to spend time trying to get something right that just wouldn’t get there.

cutspatdraft1

Next was to see what alterations needed to be made and baste and change, try on and curse etc until I was happy with the fit.cutspatdraft12

The shorter version was far easier to manipulate and fit than the taller one.

The front of this one seemed to dip in the front, so I made some alterations to the shape of the top so that it would rise slightly, almost like a superhero boot.

cutspatdraft2

Tracing the fabric onto the paper wasn’t easy (mainly due to lighting), and OH how the hands suffer with felt markers.  (Luckily they were my son’s washable ones and there was no permanent damage).  But eventually I ended up with purple hands a suitable pattern.  This is a very basic pattern, which I will be able to make small alterations to which will make each pair of spats really individual.

I have some heavy denim and quilting cotton lined up for my first pair.  I just need to get my hands on some medium interfacing and some nice buttons.

finaldraft

sufferyehands