Browsed by
Tag: Planning a Vintage Inspired Wardrobe

Quick Knits

Quick Knits

navyluxuryset

While recuperating, dealing with laceweight yarn was just not on the agenda.  So I pulled out some of the Bendigo Woollen Mills Luxury that I got for Christmas last year.  Some of it was earmarked for a hat, so I decided that a little beret would be perfect.  And given all the cold weather we’ve been having, and because I have really short hair now, my neck is exposed and requires something toasty around it.

So I did a search through Ravelry, and found two cute and quick little knits.  Bubble Hat is cute, top down hat, with enough interest in the seed stitch that it wasn’t a boring knit.  I wanted something floppy, but I ended up making it HUGE.  So I had to rip back about 2.5″ and reknit the band.  I eliminated the button bits, but I am considering a little bow for it.

The Bow Knot Scarf looked like a very quick little knit, and indeed only took me 2 days. Loads of garter stitch and a tiny little bit of ribbing, and while the pattern calls for a Worsted/10ply yarn, I found the Luxury more than lofty enough to make it big enough for me, and nice and toasty.

The two knits took less than a ball of yarn and about 2 weeks all up, with my somewhat limited crafting time.  I’m sure someone who wasn’t recovering from surgery, or doesn’t get distracted by the “shiny” as easily as I do, could knock them over in a week.

It was good to get something that I can wear done in time for winter.  I love that they’re a little vintage looking, too.  I’ve worn them quite a bit already and they are LOVELY to wear!

80’s Flashback! Knitted Legwarmers

80’s Flashback! Knitted Legwarmers

lairboottopperup

Wagons are meant to be fallen off, right?  Good.  While I haven’t started any of my big 3 for 2012, I have joined in a small KAL on Ravelry in the Tiny Owl Knits group.  The free pattern “Some Cloudy Day” is a pair of legwarmers, knit in smaller gauge and meant to be a little more fitted.

I really enjoyed making these, they were really good to do while I was dropping my son off to, and picking up from school. I modified these a little, I made them shorter, used a 1×1 rib and ended with a hemmed picot bind off.

lairboottoperdown

I just wanted something to stick into the tops of my boots or over my ankles if I was wearing other shoes.  As I’m not really a “sock knitter” I thought this was a great way to use some fun yarn and patterns without worrying too much about fit.

pinkcloudyday

So whilst on a roll, I decided to quickly cast on another pair.  Using another sock yarn, I cast on with a few extra stitches and continued with the 2×2 ribbing.  At the top, I decided to add some eyelets to my ribbing so that I can put a ribbon through the top.  Cute, right?

The comments I’ve received while knitting these, however has been most amusing.  I usually get asked what I’m knitting, and when the response is “legwarmers”, I get a range of reactions.  Everything from a raised eyebrow accompanied by a slightly derisive “Oh.”, to being asked if I have a daughter.  Apparently one must be a girl of a pre-teen age to wear legwarmers.  Nevertheless, my ankles will not be freezing this winter. BWAHAHAHA…

Will I make more?  Probably, but I’ll try different stitch patterns though.

Of Shawls … and Things…

Of Shawls … and Things…

Well, of one shawl really.  I have finished knitting my Line Break Shawl!  Took much longer than I’d hoped for (one month vs 2-3 weeks), but when you have to redo the same section 3 times due to mistakes, you get a bit ‘meh’ with the project.  All I have to do now is dye it.  I may, however, wear it a bit before I dye it.  This yarn was wonderful to knit with, but the high bamboo content made it grow exponentially, which for this project was just fine with me.  But as it is supposed to be a sock yarn (thus machine washable.. yay!), I would have dreaded to have knit socks for myself, only to have them fit my husband who has a size 16 foot.  As a guideline the top edge was about 65” (165.1cm)  across before I blocked it, and is now measuring 87” (221cm).  Well over half a metre extra!  It really will be the perfect windbreak for the slightly cool evenings that we get between now and winter hitting.

linebreak

maxi3

And onto other things… the sewing of a maxi dress seems to be an unmitigated disaster!  My new pattern, the supposed “1 hour dress” is a nightmare to do a FBA on!  I think I will have to practically redraft a new bodice from scratch.  Might be less painful!  Once my son starts school, I will get to redrafting so that the next attempt is not so painful.

So yet again, there has been a pattern swap.  I’m still going to use the sleeves and skirt from the McCall pattern, but the bodice is being constructed from a Burda pattern my MIL happened to have already done a fair bit of adjusting to, and the top she made from it (also a knit fabric top), fits me quite well.  I will be altering the neckline too, as it’s way too high for the dress.  The bodice has been cut and the darts stitched.  I’m starting to get excited as it’s the furthest we’ve really gotten towards a completed dress!  I may actually have a summer dress before the end of summer!